Russ's Reviews > Leaving Tabasco

190649
Jan 07, 09

bookshelves: novel, fantasy, 2009
Read in January, 2009, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I bought this book because of the intriguing cover synopsis. I expected something good, and this book delivered.

The main character is Delmira, who tells the reader about her childhood in Agustini, Mexico. The author gives you a good sense of the rituals, traditions, ins and outs of both Delmira's crazy household and her even crazier town. By the end of the novel, you almost feel part of the town yourself.

Most of the book concerns the odd happenings in Delmira's hometown. You're never really sure if some of these things really happen, or if they're part of Delmira's imagination. Delmira herself does not entirely trust her own senses and memories. True or not, it's best to just enjoy the stories as the fantastical wonders they are.

Unfortunately, the last section of the book brings an all-too-heavy reality to Agustini. As Delmira leaves behind her imagination-drenched childhood, so too does the town leave behind its isolation from the rest of the world.

I'm not quite sure what to think about the ending of the novel, but the rest of it is definitely great material. The chapter I enjoyed most was Chapter 20, "The Rains," beginning on page 113. I could feel the heat of the day as Delmira describes it. I could feel the cool water she plunges into to escape the opppressive heat. This is good writing!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaving Tabasco.

01/01/2009 page 26
01/03/2009 page 56
21.88% "What is going on here?? Crazy stuff happening."
01/05/2009 page 140
54.69% ""The Rains" chapter is very good writing!"
01/07/2009 page 244