Lisa B.'s Reviews > The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap: A Memoir of Friendship, Community, and the Uncommon Pleasure of a Good Book

The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap by Wendy Welch

Sep 29, 12

bookshelves: all-things-netgalley, 2012-books
Read in September, 2012

My Thoughts

This book was good in so many ways it made my head spin. The author has quite a wit and I often laughed out loud (Light Commander, Light Off!). She also brought up many thought provoking topics regarding all things books: e-reader vs paper books; big box book stores vs independent vs used; buy online or shop local. And while she always offered an opinion, the information was presented factually and I never felt like I was being told which option to pick (although I will say I did feel a bit guilty reading a story about a used bookstore on my e-reader.)

This was so well written, I often found myself thinking “the author is such a good story teller”. As it turns out, she actually had a past job telling stories. Her ability to tell a tale translated well onto the written page. I loved how she showed the importance of the store, not just in selling used books, but as being part of the community and providing a gathering place for a variety of local characters.

I can count on one hand the number of used bookstores I have visited. Sadly, anything local is no longer opened. I believe the author and her husband have been blessed that their little bookstore has been accepted by the community of Big Stone Gap. And in kind, the community has been blessed that the couple opened their bookstore in Big Stone Gap. Isn’t it great how life works?

Thank you to St. Martin’s Press and Netgalley for allowing me to read this in exchange for an unbiased review.

Publish date: October 2, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap.