Molly's Reviews > In the Woods

it was ok
bookshelves: mystery-thriller-suspense
Recommended to Molly by: fleurfisherwordpress - TT
Read in March, 2009

Eh. That's pretty much how I feel about this book. From the opening pages the author's writing style just didn't grab me and that was a problem since the book went on and on and on like that.

The narrator, Rob (aka Adam) Ryan, is a detective in Ireland working on a murder case that just so happens to have taken place in his childhood home town. The story follows his life during this particular case and flashes back to his childhood when he and his 2 best friends went missing in the woods, with him being found alone, in shock, standing in bloody shoes but unharmed. He has no memory of what happened and the current case stirs up a desire to try to remember that early part of his life.

A large part of the book delves into his strong bond with his partner, Cassie Maddox. This is where it began to get annoying for me. Over and over and over the narrator drones on and on about how tremendous their friendship is and how much like siblings they are. They are so cool - their relationship is the envy of everyone around them - blah blah blah. I also couldn't stop remembering that Rob was a guy written by a woman - he always seemed more like what a woman would picture a guy to be - never truly his own voice.

Then there is a big transition/turning point in the story - which takes about 3/4 of the way through to get there. The narrator's behavior after this made no sense to me - especially after all else that was hammered into my brain leading up to it. So unfortunately, just as the story was starting to pick up some much needed speed, the characters stopped being believable.

Although I did not figure out the ending in advance, I was not really that surprised or shocked by it. Enough foreshadowing had occurred to present it as an option - just the details of exactly how were what needed to be revealed. Going through all of that for a fizzle at the end sealed the 2 star rating from me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Woods.

03/18 marked as: read

Comments <span class="mediumText">(showing 1-10)</span>

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 10: by Nely (new) - added it

Nely OOOh, I've owned this one for a couple of months now but I still haven't been able to start it. Hopefully in March. I can't wait to read what you think of it.

Molly My sister-in-law and brother-in-law just both read it and loaned it to me when I saw them this weekend. They said it was pretty good - but not quite the stirring enthusiasm I was hoping for. We shall see.

message 8: by Nely (new) - added it

Nely I've been excited about it for some time now and went out and bought it and the sequel. I just haven't gotten around to reading them yet. Hopefully you like it and ur review inspires me to read mine.

message 7: by Nely (new) - added it

Molly Didn't know there was a sequel!

Molly Kate wrote: "I was planning to read this ...actually, it was the cover that nearly sold me on it, but this sounds like the kind of book I'd avoid, out of not wanting to be bored or read cliched plots."

I was pretty bummed - I was looking forward to a good thriller/mystery. Not at all a page turner for me. I was surprised because there could have really been several interesting stories in there. Maybe she fell victim to trying to squeeze all of her ideas into one book instead of spreading them out. Or maybe she's just not that great at plot development. I dunno. Just not what I had been expecting.

message 4: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Ah how rubbish! I bought this from the charity shop the other day! But at least I didn't pay very much for it :P

Mary I could not get into it either. I gave up on it and thats when I passed it on to you! Just sort of dragged. Had Jon fillme in after he finished.

Molly Mary wrote: "I could not get into it either. I gave up on it and thats when I passed it on to you! Just sort of dragged. Had Jon fillme in after he finished."

He didn't seem to be that enthused with it either - warned me that it kind of dragged.

message 1: by Aimee (new)

Aimee I've been thinking the whole Rob-Cassie relationship was lame too. Even the name "Cassie" seems like a 12 yr old Dear Diary name. And handsprings on the beach? Gimme a break. Good - I'm justified in bringing it back to the library! Lol