Elizabeth's Reviews > The Nightingales of Troy: Stories of One Family's Century

The Nightingales of Troy by Alice Fulton

Aug 23, 14

Read in November, 2008

A quick read. Quirky characters. Fulton has a gift for creating distinctive voices and compelling the stories. She knit doesn't things up too tightly across stories, but leaves it to the reader to make those connections.

I don't have many complaints about the writing - except that in the early stories - maybe the first 1/3 of the book, there would be a line here or there that strained the narrative. The wording would be a little too eccentric and I wasn't sure whether it was the character who had a strange grasp on language or thought or reality (and they certainly did at times) or whether it was the writer just liking a particular line and not wanting to cut it. But anyway, the line would stick out as not fitting completely into the world of the character.

I thought it was interesting that the last 1/4 of the book shifts into third person. And wonder why she made that choice. To show how the voices had become diluted through the centuries - and how the eccentricity became diluted?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nightingales of Troy.