Kasa Cotugno's Reviews > This Is How You Lose Her

This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Díaz

Several years ago I lived out a fantasy abetted by Junot Diaz, of which he was unaware. I was sitting in a cafe reading the searing conclusion to A Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, and upon closing it, looked up and saw the author himself 10 feet away, watching me read his work. He was there to attend a reading at a bookstore a few doors away. Upon signing my book, he added "thanks for allowing me to help you iive the fantasy."

All of his work is intertwined, so much so that I am choosing to label this latest collection as being a memoir as there are so many connections between Diaz and his protagonist, Yunior, also his nickname. So where does imagination leave off here? He shares many of the same qualities, and if so, is exposing himself to a remarkable degree. These linked stories are elegiac, painful, poetic, raw. All characteristics that appear in previous works. He's a busy guy -- teaching uses up a great deal of his time. But here's hoping we don't have to wait another 5 years for something new.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is How You Lose Her.