Wendi's Reviews > The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Dec 30, 2008

Read in December, 2008

What a fantastic read! I read this book during my first week of Christmas vacation while I sick and puking from stomach flu. Dorothy is so smart. I love that L. Frank Baum didn't make her some doofy little girl (like Stephanie Meyers did with Bella in Twilight - Steph, read Wizard of Oz and smarten up your girls!). Such a good book. I love how strong and capable all the characters were and yet they let little things make them self-concious. But then when needed their powers came out. The Tin Woodman not stepping on a bug. The cowardly lion pulling the raft ashore. The Scarecrow time and time again came up with ingenious ways to get them out of whatever trouble the group was in. Just a fabulous book. I think all kids should have to read this book and then have to read it again as high school students and then again as college students and one last time as adults. We all have our power inside us, we just have to trust ourselves and tap into it.

I read the book originally to just have something "light" while not feeling well. But I was so wrong, this book made me think so much. It also prepared me to reread "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire. Everything means so much more this time around as I read "Wicked". Dorothy - so smart and strong in Wizard of Oz, not some silly little girl singing along - can be seen, if from the Witch's point of view, as a threat. I just love both books.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

03/29 marked as: read