Lady Darcie Guenon's Reviews > Devil in Winter

bookshelves: historical-romance, favorites
Recommended to Lady Darcie by: the 2nd book
Recommended for: romance lovers
Read in January, 2009 , read count: 1

Truely amazing book. This has got to be my favortie wallflower story so far. Evie and Sebastian are the most interesting couple i have ever read. it's so sweet the way Sebastian trys and hides the fact that he is a good guy underneath and how Evie sees this when no one else would.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil in Winter.

Quotes Lady Darcie Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“A lang, lang time ago…” MacPhee began, ignoring St.Vincent’s low groan, “there was a bonnie maid called Malvina. She was the betrothed of Oscar, the braw warrior who won her heart. Oscar bade his beloved tae wait for him while he went tae seek his fortune. But one black day Malvina received word that her lover had been killed in battle. He would lie forever in eternal rest in the faraway hills…lost in endless slumber…”
“God, I envy him,” St. Vincent said feelingly, rubbing his own dark-circled eyes.”

Lisa Kleypas
“It’s impossible,” he snapped.

“Why?”

“Because I’m Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent. I can’t be celibate. Everyone knows that.”

Lisa Kleypas
“The situation was extraordinary. How someone like Evangeline Jenner could have wrought such a change in St. Vincent, the most worldly of men, was difficult to understand. However, Westcliff had learned that the mysteries of attraction could not always be explained through logic. Sometimes the fractures in two separate souls became the very hinges that held them together.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Ah, Evie,” she heard him say softly, “I must have a heart, after all…because right now it aches like the devil.”
“Only your heart?” she asked ingenuously, making him laugh.
He lowered her to the bed, his eyes sparkling wickedly. “Also a few other things,” he conceded. “And as my wife, it’s your duty to ease all my aches.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Good God. I don’t believe St. Vincent and the word ‘celibacy’ have ever been mentioned in the same sentence before.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I’ll take your bet,” he said grimly. “I’m going to win it. And in three months, I’m going to put this back on your finger, and take you to bed, and do things to you that are outlawed in the civilized world.”

Lisa Kleypas
“It's a mistake, you know. You have no idea what you'll be exposed to...the obscenities and lewd comments, the lecherous gazes, the groping and pinching...and that's just my house. Imagine what it would be like here.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Slowly his resistance ebbed. She felt the change in his body, the relaxing of tension, his shoulders curving around her as if he could draw her into himself. Murmuring her name, he brought her hand to his face and nuzzled ardently into her palm, his lips brushing the warm circlet of her gold wedding band. “My love is upon you,” he whispered…and she knew then that she had won.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I want to fill every part of you, breathe the air from your lungs and leave my handprints on your soul. I want to give you more pleasure than you can bear.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Mysteries of attraction could not always be explained through logic. Sometimes the fractures in two separate souls became the very hinges that held them together.”

Lisa Kleypas
“He looked like a fallen angel, replete with all the dangerous male beauty that Lucifer could devise.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Nature had squandered an unreasonable quantity of male beauty on this undeserving creature.”

Lisa Kleypas
“A man's vanity is more fragile that you might think. It's easy for us to mistake shyness for coldness, and silence for indifference.”

Lisa Kleypas
“If my love can hold you, I'll keep you with me.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I won’t apologize for my past. A man is supposed to have experience.”
“From all indications, you’ve acquired enough for ten men.”
tags: humor

Lisa Kleypas
“Only you could love such a vile, selfish peacock, Evie.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Evie ” came his faint whisper “I’m going to your mother see…she’s got ’em to leave a back door open…so I can steal into ’eaven.”

Lisa Kleypas
“It’s all right,” the boy murmured as he felt her trembling. “My grandmother always told me ‘Never try to turn back on a new road—you don’t know what adventures await you.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Ghost?” St. Vincent shot him an incredulous glance. “Christ. You’re not serious, are you?”

"I’m a Gypsy,” Cam replied matter-of-factly. “Of course I believe in ghosts.”

“Only half Gypsy. Which led me to assume that the rest of you was at least marginally sane and rational.”

“The other half is Irish,” Cam said a touch apologetically.

“Christ,” St. Vincent said again, shaking his head as he strode away.”
tags: humor

Lisa Kleypas
“Women beg me for it, and not the other way around."

"Then you should go to one of them."

"Oh, I will. When we return to London, I'm going to embark on a spree of orgiastic debauchery that won't end until someone is arrested for it. But in the meanwhile...do you truly expect that the two of us are going to share a bed tonight-and tomorrow night-as chastely as a pair of nuns on holiday?”

Lisa Kleypas
“What happened to your stammer?"

"I suppose I must feel comfortable with you. I tend to stammer less with certain people."

"No one's ever told me that I'm a comfortable sort. I'm sure I don't like it. I'll have to do something diabolical soon to correct your impression.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I don't share my body heat indiscriminately.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I rarely dislike people for things they can't change, they usually give me sufficient cause to dislike them for other reasons.”

01/17/2009 page 12
show 3 hidden updates…

message 1: by Ava (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ava This one was my favorite wallflower book, too! Loved Sebastian! :)