Kayla Krecklow's Reviews > Harold and the Purple Crayon

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson

12194254
Sep 12, 12

Read in September, 2012

I love being assigned to read children's books because I love being able to re-read the books I loved as a kid. Harold and the Purple Crayon was at the top of the list! I never really understood why there was nothing outside his bedroom and he had to draw everything and everywhere he wanted to go, but it is definitely a good use of the imagination. Crocket Johnson really got creative with this story and it teaches children to use their imagination as well. Whatever Harold wanted to do, he did it without having to ask or listen to anybody saying no. This book also teaches children that they create their own future. Harold created his whole world based on what he wanted to do or the accidental swipe of a crayon. Children can see that it's them that creates their own future and the lives they want for themselves and that they can accomplish anything they set their mind to. Just as Harold did by making it back into his bedroom after his moonlit walk.

I would recommend this book to children of all ages. It's a simple story and little illustrations but it sends a good message to everyone and will have they smiling the whole time while reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harold and the Purple Crayon.