Chris's Reviews > Mortality

Mortality by Christopher Hitchens

M 50x66
Sep 12, 12

Read in September, 2012

Although not as far ranging as many of his other works, Mr. Hitchens delivers again with his humor and acute observation, this time in a series of essays written during the time leading up to his death. While much of the material addressing his long held contentions regarding religion and god is old stuff, his portrayal of a person's experience with severe and terminal illness and the interaction with medical workers and friends is poignant and fresh. I have considerable experience with people who have life threatening and imminently mortal diseases and I can attest to the truth of much of what he says though clearly from the opposite vantage point thus far. I would recommend this collection to anyone who so afflicted as well as family members or close friends.

Mr. Hitchens comments at one point in this book and it has been said elsewhere that his writing style conveys a sense that he is speaking directly to the reader. I think this is not quite it, but rather I think his writing inculcates in the reader a desire to learn the same stuff and see if one comes up with the same conclusions. The number of books on one's list always grows while reading his writing, and I think it is this that accounts for his popularity even among those who strongly disagree with him, among whom I count myself on some issues.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mortality.