Chimney's Reviews > I Am America

Sep 12, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, media-personalities

Original review can be found at Inconceivable Book Reviews

* * *

After seeing Stephen Colbert’s interview with Neil Gaiman on The Colbert Report about his children’s novel ‘The Graveyard Book,’ I just knew I had to get Colbert’s own book, ‘I Am America (And So Can You!). I originally got this in ebook format, but found that I did not like how the format transferred over to my Nook and ended up purchasing a paperback copy. Now, I bought this book with the hopes that it would make me laugh and it did just that.

There is no doubt in my mind that Stephen Colbert is a funny guy though his humor may not be for everyone. If you have seen his show The Colbert Report and did not like it than chances are you aren’t going to like his book either. However, if you do like the show than by all means go and pick up this book (and if you don’t like reading there is an audiobook version in which Stephen Colbert himself reads to YOU and every other person who has bought it)! It’s great (believe me as I have believed in the Colbert theory)!

I’m not to saying there were no faults at all as I did feel like some of the material was overused. Perhaps that will feel different in the audio version. I don’t know as I have not listened to the audio (shame on me!). And you can tell while you’re reading that this is a voice that was made for television, yet it still transfers decently over to the written word.

In the end ‘I Am America (And So Can You)’ is a fast-paced and witty read. A good book (or audiobook) to get for friends or family (or yourself) who are fans of Stephen Colbert, assuming they don’t already have it. Go America!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am America.