Tanya's Reviews > Watch Over Me

Watch Over Me by Christa Parrish

Oct 04, 12

Read from September 12 to October 04, 2012, read count: 1

Christa Parrish does it again! I thought her book Home Another Way was excellent, and this one is even better in my opinion. This book pulled me in right away and I really connected with the characters.

This was a touching story centered on God and how He can take devastating situations and use them for His glory.

Deputy Benjamin finds an abandoned baby in a shopping bag that someone had just given birth to and discarded. Since Benjamin and his wife Abbie are registered foster parents, baby Silvia(they later named her), goes to stay with them.

Deputy Benjamin was in the war in Afghanistan and is suffering from PTSD after losing his best friend there. He wonders why it wasn't him because his friend has a wife and children at home. Why didn't God choose to take him instead? Abbie decided after her and Ben were married to drop the bomb on him that she couldn't conceive any children so this is just another piece to their marital troubles they need to work on. She has an eating disorder and is constantly popping laxatives because she thinks she is fat. So you can see that there are some underlying problems that need to be brought before God and dealt with.

Distant from God and aching for her marriage to survive, Abbie soon lets Silvia into her heart. Silvia brings Ben and Abbi together after a suffering marriage and some personal problems they both have and need to work through. They eventually realize that she's only a band-aid fix to to their issues. If Silvia hadn't shown up in their lives, would their marriage have survived?

Matthew is another great character in the story that I really loved. He is a teenage deaf boy who has some medical problems. His mother abandoned him so he has to stay with his dismissive aunt who has multiple children. Because of her wreckless lifestyle, Matthew is forced to pick up the pieces for her by cleaning the house and feeding the children and just showing them love that they are suppose to get from a parent. I really felt sorry for him and the life that he was handed at first until Ben and Abbie stepped into his life. The three of them created a bond and Matthew's life was forever changed.

I really loved this book. The suspense was driving me nuts because I kept finding myself wanted to see what was going to happen next. The problems in this book were problems that anyone could have today, which made the book seem even more real to me. I highly recommend you read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watch Over Me.