Christopher's Reviews > Walk Two Moons

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Dec 30, 12

Read in September, 2012

Sharon Creech's Walk Two Moons is perhaps the most cliché piece of literature (a term it barely deserves to be labeled as) I have ever had the misfortune to experience. Its use of foreshadowing is, quite frankly, annoying, and its "plot twists" are predictable and completely expected. As stated before, the narration is extremely cliché (i. e. ending a chapter with the phrase "We had no idea how wrong we were," or something along those lines). In addition, the pre-teenage characters' dialogue sounds as if it came out of 1950's-era Tennesse (for example, using the word "thumping" as an adjective), and by about Chapter 20, the story started to sound like a bad Lifetime movie (as if any of them are anything but bad).
My least favorite character is the insufferable Phoebe Winterbottom, a 13-year-old girl who is ridiculously obsessed with cholesterol and caloric intake and who has obviously never heard of a little thing called "common courtesy".
The ending of the novel was quite depressing, with a confusing and unexplainable move used by the author that I believe is completely unacceptable in terms of writing.
How Walk Two Moons won a Newberry Award (or even managed to qualify), I cannot fathom, even in the deepest reaches of my mind; the only reason I read it is because it was required reading for my seventh grade English class.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walk Two Moons.