Robin's Reviews > Lulu and the Brontosaurus

Sep 12, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: junebug-s-books
Read on September 12, 2012

This was quite a fun read and very engaging. I recommend it for most early readers and appreciate the 1st person commentary and song, especially when Junebug and I are narrating. We also enjoyed the confidence and strength of Lulu as well as her evolution and positive growth.

However, Junebug and I read with kids in special situations, and we don't always know where they are coming from, their backgrounds, and guidance they might receive if they have questions about something they experience. Therefore, I am concerned about the violence against animals in this story. When Junebug and I are reading with kids, we'd rather not squeeze the snake "deader" nor bonk the tiger on the head with a suitcase. We opt for squeezing, maybe pinching, the snake and poking the tiger (e.g., in the nose), both of which are easily adapted to when she tries the same moves on the dinosaur. (Now if these creatures are being used as metaphors for evil things in life, then by all means, swing the suitcase and squeeze them 'til they're deader.)

Teachable moment: pets, what they are, what they require (appropriate nutrition- kids can live on leaves, space, exercise).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lulu and the Brontosaurus.