Sheree's Reviews > Heaven Should Fall

Heaven Should Fall by Rebecca Coleman

Oct 06, 12

bookshelves: arc, contemporary-fiction, own, read-in-2012, reviews
Read from September 12 to 16, 2012

Rebecca Coleman won me as a fan with her debut novel The Kingdom of Childhood hence my jumping at the chance to read Heaven Should Fall. It's another intense, thought provoking read tackling difficult subject matter, something Ms Coleman doesn't shy away from, but I did have a little trouble getting into it.

Heaven Should Fall is an intimate look at the slow erosion of a family, the trauma of PTSD not only for sufferer Elias, an Afghanistan veteran but his family and the aftermath of grief and blame fueled by inflammatory extremist views.

I didn't really connect with the characters, apart from Elias and I'm not one that has to like a character to connect, so that was unexpected. What breaks your heart is the lack of support and follow-up for returned soldiers and that being a sad reality in these so called enlightened times is a terrible thing.

While this wasn't the absorbing, emotionally challenging read of The Kingdom of Childhood, the author's insight and attention to an issue I feel strongly about kept me reading & thinking and I'll definitely pick up whatever Rebecca Coleman turns her hand to next.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven Should Fall.

09/12/2012 page 15
09/13/2012 page 105
28.0% "not feelin' it yet :("
show 1 hidden update…