Lisa's Reviews > No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden

No Easy Day by Mark Owen

1195063
Sep 13, 12

Read from September 12 to 13, 2012

Could NOT put this down. As I finished, I thought, "Wow." Just wow. This was an amazing glimpse into a different species of human beings...I've not ever read anything about our military "innards" and here is an impressive introduction. I felt almost guilty beginning it, knowing vaguely of all the controversy surrounding it, but ended the book feeling incredibly proud and grateful for these frighteningly intelligent, controlled, strange, Type A, OCD specimens of men that sacrifice ANYthing for the ideal that is America. They think and act and process information on a plane that is somewhat unfathomable to me but is also intriguing! At one point the author relates a conversation he remembered taking place above 8000 ft in the mountains of the Khyber region (think "Three Cups of Tea") after they've climbed straight up a cliffside for hours, looking for a goat trail that would take them to a position above an insurgent camp. "If I get shot tonight," he whispers to his buddy, after the firefight begins, "no one better tell my mom I didn't wear my plates." (Plates being the metal inserts they wear in their vests to protect their vital organs). Really?
The author plainly states at the beginning of the book that in no way is he relating any information that is not available from other sources, (and he lists those sources) except for his version of the 30 minutes he spent in the compound housing Osama Bin Laden, as well as the hours after. He carefully explains at the beginning that he would never want to compromise the very organization where his loyalties lie.
I couldn't help but think, as I finished the book, that perhaps the reason there was controversy about recalling the book, etc., was because he doesn't cast our politicians in the most favorable light. He is not a big Obama fan, though is careful to say nothing derogatory about his commander-in-chief. I believe his account to be true and to, in no way, compromise our forces. If anything, should the book fall into "enemy" hands and somehow be translated, the message I would take away is, as someone thinking to fight against America, "Why try?" It would seem very pointless to fight against the skill, technology, training and resources that comprise the US military forces. The politics above our military may be our enemies best chance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Easy Day.