Kayla Lutz's Reviews > And Then It's Spring

And Then It's Spring by Julie Fogliano

F_50x66
Sep 12, 12

bookshelves: caldecott-prediction

In my opinion, this story deserves to be the winner of the 2013 Caldecott Medal Award. The colors and shading in this story worked very well to portray a certain mood. This story starts off after winter time, when everything around is brown. The illustrator did such a good job of using different shades of brown to portray a dull, dreary feeling. At the end of the novel, everything is green and blossomed and colors are everywhere. The colors and shading throughout the book fit the theme perfectly. One of my favorite parts about this story was the little details in the pictures. There are so many little things that I noticed while looking through this book and I think children would have a fun time looking through these pages. This story is about a child waiting and waiting (becoming impatient) for spring to arrive. I think many children could relate to the feeling of impatience about things in their lives. The artistic technique Erin E. Stead uses is woodblock printing and pencils. I was actually shocked when I found this out because the pictures are so intricate and detailed. I think she did a perfect job of illustrating this story and for this reason, "And Then It's Spring" should be the winner of the 2012 Caldecott Medal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Then It's Spring.