Jessica's Reviews > The Ruins of Lace

Oct 11, 12

Read on September 12, 2012

Full post on my blog:
Crazy Red Pen

The writing of Ruins of Lace is lyrical and slow, which makes the book so good. Readers are taken back to 17th century France, with the aristocracy still in place. Despite the setting of a place that’s more than 400 years into the past, the universal emotions of love, greed, desire, loyalty and more make the book relatable no matter the time period. One of the characters describes his love for a girl, “Care! Care was contemptible. Care was cowardly. I wanted more than fondness and friendship."

Lace is such a simple object that it’s hard to imagine how it can play such a big part in the lives of the characters and be the central object in a book, but after reading Ruins of Lace, I can understand. Lace is a luxury product and everyone yearns for it. Humans are willing to sacrifice everything.

The quote I loved the most in Ruins of Lace was “We were but mortals, and we were bound, the both of us it seemed, to fail at what our hearts wanted most.” That line spoke to me because as humans, we reach for what we want, trying, and we may not get it. However, that line also speaks volumes about the book. The characters, all six of them, have their individual hopes and dreams and in the end, they may or may not reach their goals. In the process of that journey, they all lose something, changing that person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ruins of Lace.