Justin's Reviews > The Zen of Zombie: Better Living Through the Undead

Jan 15, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: funny, zombies
Read in January, 2009

This is a must-have for anybody who has a soft spot for zombies, like myself. This book was a Christmas gift, and I enjoyed it immensely.

However, I have to echo what some others have said about it... it's a pretty one-note book. The joke doesn't waver. I think that's perfectly fine, though, since that's kind of the point (metahumor, perhaps?).

The only thing that bugged me about it was the "totally-dude-bro" voice of the author, which was irritating enough for me to drop two stars from my rating. Admittedly, this tone fostered a couple of one-liners and paragraphs that literally had me laughing out loud, and reading them aloud to my wife. However, most of the time it was grating and sometimes bordered on embarrassing, especially coupled with the repetitive nature of the jokes themselves.

The reason that the Max Brooks zombie books are so good is because Brooks plays it straight. I think this book could have been funnier if Kenemore took that approach, too, as it would have added a more effective spoof of self-help to the continuous riff on the stereotypical zombie.

Even so, it's a light, fast, and mostly funny read, and belongs on the shelf of anybody who counts themselves a fan of zombies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zen of Zombie.