Laura's Reviews > The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?

The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? by Mo Willems

F_50x66
Sep 13, 12

Read from September 12 to 13, 2012

Despite quite different from other children’s books I have read in my lifetime, I think that “The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?” is the book most worthy of the 2013 Caldecott Medal. What really caught my eye initially were the illustrations as they are different from typical children’s books and are far simpler than I am used to seeing. While the illustrations are simple and take up a small portion of the page, they leave a lot of room for students to use their imaginations to decide what is surround the duck and pigeon, or who the duck got the cookie from. When it comes to the plot, I really liked how Mo Willems integrated a lesson, showing how the duck said please when he asked for the cookie, where as the pigeon seemed more demanding and did not ask politely, until the end when he said “thank you.” I feel that this book deserves the Caldecott Medal because of it’s different way of illustrating a book and because it showed how detailed, elaborate illustrations are not completely necessary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?.