Brian's Reviews > The End of Men: And the Rise of Women

The End of Men by Hanna Rosin

Sep 26, 12

Recommended to Brian by: the economist
Read from September 23 to 26, 2012 — I own a copy

(3.0) Yet another journalist who stretches article into "book"

I think I agree with much of Rosin's assessment of the status of women today, so it's not that I don't like what she has to say at all. It's just that she really stretched hard to fill a book here. Particularly in the early chapters, we're just hearing anecdote after pop culture reference and the evidence is quite thin (and she's making arguments that could be backed by evidence, research, heck at least surveys).

But she definitely redeems herself in the latter chapters: "The Top" and "The Gold Misses", where she addresses the question of why women still aren't as well represented at the top-most levels of corporations, governments etc, and a case study on the changing position of women in Asia. These are well-researched and well written chapters.

Quick summary: women have more power than ever, and the places where women hold the power benefit greatly. Men as a whole have been far less able to adapt to the changing marketplace, and far less willing to work the double-time necessary to become educated, hold a full-time job and take care of children. Many women are finding marriage less of a partnership than as an adoption of an adult child. She holds out some hope that men can adapt better than they have: she looks to Northern Europe for this hope, with some justification.

So I liked the argument. I just think it's probably best read as its original piece in The Atlantic, though I must admit that I didn't read that. ;)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Men.

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Lin She doesn't go out of her way to piss all men off everywhere forever? AKA "pulling a Maureen Dowd"