Lis's Reviews > Spark

Spark by Brigid Kemmerer

Sep 12, 2012

Read in August, 2012

Also Found On: A Book and A Record

Wow, okay, well . . . give me a moment while I dig myself out of the hole I buried into. If you’ve read my reviews (or really, just read my review of Storm) you’ll know that I wasn’t the biggest fan of these books. Or at least, that book. Seriously. I basically hated it. It wasn’t so much something against the idea of the book, as it was against all of the crappy things that happen to the main character in the book. I really felt bad for her, and the things that happened to her were never-ending, intense, and pretty dark for a YA novel (in my opinion). Spark, though. Spark was pretty fantastic.
Here is what I loved: the miscommunication (not joking) here’s a fact: guys don’t like to communicate, they don’t like to talk about their feelings, and they make rash decisions once in a while. The way that the Merrick brothers act and react to each other I felt like was so honest to how males react. I also loved how Gabriel completely embodied his element. With Storm things seemed more vague, less cemented with Chris, but in Spark the characterizations were stronger. This may be because Gabriel has a lot more issues than the rest of his brothers (maybe not Michael, but definitely Chris and Nick) and he deals with them in a really honest way.
I also really enjoyed Layne. She felt a little bit like Becca, in the fact that her family life sucked majorly, but the way that she reacted to it wasn’t with a forced sense of optimism like Becca. With Layne and Gabriel I felt like they really balanced each other out. There were still the cringe worthy moments when it came to groups of teenagers. (Seriously, cringe worthy – why are teens so freaking mean? I don’t remember them being this mean . . .) There were some points that played out like an ABCFamily movie, but as far as characterization, plot structure, and the central love story this one was a lot stronger than Storm (in my opinion). The only thing that I was kind of bothered with was that there wasn’t any resolution with Chris and Becca. The entire story focuses solely on Gabriel and Layne, so it makes me wonder if there will be another Chris and Becca book. I’m sure that it says on a fan board somewhere, but I’m too lazy to look it up. I want a full new adult Michael story. That’s what I want. (Nick is kind of a boring straight arrow, let’s be honest. What fun hot sexy brother things does he have to bring to the table?) More Gabriel, more Michael. They’re my favorite brothers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spark.

Eva Rose Does one absolutely need to read book 1 or can I just skipped it and read this one?

message 2: by Lis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lis You can skip it. All of the books and novellas in this series (so far) stand alone really well.

Eva Rose E wrote: "You can skip it. All of the books and novellas in this series (so far) stand alone really well."

That's good because the first one kind of scared me away. XDD

message 4: by Lis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lis haHA yeah, Storm was definitely not my favorite, but this one was a lot better :) If you decide to read it, I hope you enjoy it :)

Eva Rose I want to give it a shot soon, thanks.