Tacey's Reviews > Sing Them Home

Sing Them Home by Stephanie Kallos

F 50x66
Jan 31, 09

Read in January, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I have mixed feelings about this book. I found the first 175-200 pages very difficult to get through. There were times when I felt like the author's writing was just to "show off" and it took a long while for me to take a vested interest in the characters. I enjoyed the second half of the book much more, although it felt rushed at the end.

The whole thing about the ghosts of the ancestors and their activities was just bizarre. I didn't feel like it belonged to the rest of the book.

I connected with the dead mother's journal entries, possibly more than any other part of the story. I also felt some kinship to the oldest daughter in her comfort eating. I felt the characters were the story here. I guess that's why I didn't like the first part of the book, because it hadn't made me care about the characters yet.

I'm generally a plot person. This one, yeah, it was OK. A little conveniently and abruptly contrived at the end. Everything tied up in a nice neat bow. I like happy endings, don't get me wrong, but they felt insincere in this novel.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sing Them Home.