Danielle's Reviews > Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir

Kafka Was the Rage by Anatole Broyard

May 30, 09

Read in May, 2009

Everyone simply must -- okay, well should -- read the last chapter of this memoir, at the very least. It is thick with insight and knowledge about the potential alienation and disabling awkwardness of sex. Here's just one excerpt that really caught my eye:

"In Portnoy's Complaint, Portnoy says that underneath their skirts girls all have cunts. What he didn't say -- and this was his trouble, his real complaint -- was that underneath their skirts they also had souls. When they were undressed, I saw their souls as well as their cunts. They wore their souls like negliges that they never took off. And one man in a million knows how to make love to a soul."

When I read this last chapter, in particular, I couldn't help but think that, sexually, we are not nearly as liberated as we think we are. While it [sex:] is certainly more a part of everyday life, and flaunted on the television screen, in photos, etc., I am not so certain that anyone knows what to make of it . . . I still see people [myself included:] stumbling about in dark lit spaces, saying a prayer for salvation.

Kisses to Lauren for getting this book on my shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kafka Was the Rage.