Annalise Grey's Reviews > Underworld

Sep 12, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read on September 12, 2012

OHMYF*CKINGGOD.

I can't give this one enough stars. I picked it up this morning (after having finished Abandon last night) and COULD NOT put it down. I loved Pierce's character. She makes stupid mistakes that aren't actually stupid. They're real, innocent, and honest mistakes. Thank god she's no Bella. And the prospect of living eternity with her dark and moody boyfriend isn't all super-rosy like in that other book.

She doesn't have a dark and moody boyfriend who is really anything but. He also isn't wealthy and together they'll whisk off to every exotic location she's ever dreamed of and never, ever, ever have to worry about money or boredom. God I can't stand that aspect of Twilight. Who wouldn't choose immortality for that kind of existence?!?!

Underworld isn't Twilight. There is no rosy outlook, inexhaustible resources, and nothing but time and kisses to keep the boredom from sinking in. Pierce won't get to watch the world change in awe and witness history with wonder. No. She'll spend eternity in a damp, chilled darkness. In a gloomy cavern filled with the passing of souls, never to join them in whatever possible happiness and peace may follow. There is no happy-ever-after for her. Except that she'll have some friends and the guy she loves. But the chill and darkness will always surround her.

How utterly depressing is that?! Even when armed with love? It's horrible. And tragically beatiful.

And exactly why I love this book more than most any I've read in a very long time.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Underworld.

09/12/2012
50.0% "God am I glad I picked this up right after finishing Abandon."