Hazel's Reviews > How to Eat a Cupcake

9198356
Sep 15, 2012

bookshelves: chick-lit, fiction
Read from September 12 to 15, 2012

When I first picked up this book I was expecting it to be a light frivolous read. I mean, how to eat a cupcake doesn't sound too serious, right? But I was happily surprised. I can see from the other reviews that you will either love it or hate it. I fall into the love it group.

Julia & Annie did start off as stereotypical characters. But by the end of the book there was so many more layers to them beneath the surface that they became more believable to me. I liked that each chapter devoted its "voice" to one character. Though I did find that at times it was a little hard to distinguish the differences between them as the tone sounded almost identical. What the Donohue really excelled at was the descriptions of other people through Annie or Julia's eyes. Annie seems the stronger character. Perhaps because her story is more interesting & she's goes through more. The men in this book weren't as strongly defined, which is to be expected given the storyline. What we do learn about them in general is that they aren't always who they seem to be at first glance.

So anyway yes, this book had more layers than I was expecting. It talks about a lot of issues such as friendship, class differences, pregnancy, fidelity, betrayal, childhood upbringing, etc. I don't usually cry easily but I found myself tearing up when Julia finally confesses her secret to Annie & then again when they have a talk just before Julia walks down the aisle. It unexpectedly touched me.

As for the cupcakes, I'm not an expert on those since I bake my own. But some of the flavors did sound absolutely delicious! There are lots of unusual cupcake recipes online. So just google them!

To sum it all up I thought this was a well written book. I would classify this as an intelligent chick lit read. Though it's more about friendship than romance.

P.S. I disagree with other reviews that Annie is described as low income. She has a decent sounding apartment in a neighborhood that's described as up & coming. So I would say she was more middle class than lower class. Though obviously contrasting her with Julia's wealth might make her seem that way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Eat a Cupcake.