Paul's Reviews > The Apocalypse Codex

The Apocalypse Codex by Charles Stross

Sep 15, 2012

liked it
Read from September 12 to 15, 2012

I'd give this book 3.5 stars, based on the premise and the characters. Unfortunately, the main character seems to fall flat in this one, at least as compared to previous books in the Laundry series, and Stross was only able to partially redeem the story by incorporating other characters. It was interesting to me that he brought in a new female lead, rather than using an existing character, but not quite enough to commend the book as anything other than a "light summer popcorn read," to borrow a quote from another review. The first two, and to a lesser extent the third, books in the Laundry series incorporate some clever humor (geek jokes and quips) but most of the material in this book was stale and fell flat (constant JesusPhone references come to mind). This book also brings to the forefront Stross' antipathy toward the Christian church and belief system; he's certainly entitled to his opinion, which comes across pretty clearly in his blog and some other writing, but he tends to paint all Christians with the same brush and it gets old quickly.

Without getting into spoiler territory, I'll say that while the shift in venue to Colorado was interesting, it was apparent that Stross got most, if not all, of his geographic information from Google Maps and Wikipedia, and he got some of the details wrong both geographically and in the background of some secondary characters. Anybody familiar with FBI and law enforcement protocols will see it on reading, not to mention anybody that's lived in either Colorado Springs or Denver.

Light summer read, going on the digital bookshelf, but not one I'd likely pick up again as I have the first two in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Apocalypse Codex.