Tom Barrett's Reviews > The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness

The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

Sep 12, 12

Read in September, 2012

Really interesting book. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is that the writing style sucks, it reads like a typical self-promoting self-help book. It's heavily padded with success stories from people, to the point where I skipped 'em every time another one popped up. Obviously, he has a whole line of branded products that he'd like to sell to you.

However, the plan itself and his debunking of commonly-held money myths really struck a chord with me. (If it wasn't padded with fluff, the book would only be 50 pages) He realizes that the real problem with becoming financially fit isn't knowing what to do, it's about human behavior. It's like losing weight: everyone knows that you eat less and exercise more, but how many of us do that?

The plan itself is 7 little steps, one after the other. Save $1,000 --> Snowball Your Debt --> Build An Emergency Fund --> Retirement Investing --> College Funding (if you have kids) --> Pay Off Mortgage --> Build Wealth. Like any good system, you don't need to finish it to get any benefit from it. Finishing step one will by itself improve your financial situation immensely.

Worth a look.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Total Money Makeover.

Maryjane I agree! But I have been overspending and rationalizing for so many years that I think I need it to be repetitive! I also didn't mind people's success stories because I want to believe that it really is possible! We have been following for about 5 months and are doing really well! I could have lived without all the churchy bs! But all in all it was what we needed!