Richard's Reviews > Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior

Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin

M 50x66
Sep 11, 2012

Read in September, 2012

I suppose the question is whether or not you buy into the idea that the way an autistic person processes reality (hyper-specific focus) gives her insight into the way animals perceive the world. Having read this book, I believe it. Actually, to move myself along I split time reading a hard copy and listening to the audiobook (read well by Shelly Frasier). I tend to seek out books by or about autistic people anyway, or others with unusual mental conditions (multiple personality), so this was an interesting read from that perspective. The science in this book (lots of footnotes) is solid and Temple Grandin doesn't hide anything -- she just puts her intuitive ideas right out there, so readers are free to judge for themselves what they agree with or not. I enjoyed this book to the end and agree with her premise that humanity should revise the outdated notion that animals are dumb until proven smart. Different kinds of intelligences are at work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animals in Translation.