David Hilton's Reviews > Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect Knuckleball

Wherever I Wind Up by R.A. Dickey

M 50x66
Sep 11, 12

did not like it
Read in September, 2012

I love sports and I was intrigued when I heard this was supposed to be the best baseball book since Jim Bouton's Ball Four, which I read as a kid and enjoyed.

I wanted to like this supposed quirky knuckle-baller with a literary bent. I flew through the book, but started skimming after the first hundred pages. Dickey strikes me as phony on many levels: his references to Hemmingway and Aristotle seem forced; his incessant syrupy praise for the wife he cheated on feels like he's trying hard to make it up to her; and, sadly, his constant references to God and his devotion are like a child clinging to his mom's leg at preschool drop off. I wanted this book to give me a reason to root for Dickey. Now, mostly, I'm rooting for him to go away quietly.

I guess I really didn't like this book. Sorry, R.A., for the trashing. Think you let your knuckler spin high in the zone and I couldn't lay off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wherever I Wind Up.