Angela's Reviews > Debbie Harry Sings in French

Debbie Harry Sings in French by Meagan Brothers

Dec 29, 08

bookshelves: dating, family, identity, music, schools, young-adult, lgbt
Read in December, 2008

I have two other books that I read before this one that I still need to write my reviews on, but I tore through this one today and couldn't wait to write about it.

While this isn't the most action packed book ever, Johnny's sincere, funny and poignant coming of age tale had me riveted. I read it every spare moment I had today, from getting on the subway to go to work, on my break, and in the first few minutes of the ride back home. While there are elements of "the problem novel" here that are fairly predictable - alcohol abuse, school bullies, dating - the surrounding theme of Johnny's exploration of transvestism kept me coming back. That was the part I couldn't predict - how would he feel wearing his first dress? Would he want to go out in public? How will other people react? I wanted and needed to know.

It's not a perfect book, but it's an excellent addition to LGBT YA literature. While Johnny isn't gay, he certainly suffers because people think he is (or at least, teenage boys think calling someone a fag is the most excellent insult ever, regardless of a person's actual sexual orientation).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Debbie Harry Sings in French.