Tim's Reviews > Mission to Paris

Mission to Paris by Alan Furst

Sep 11, 12

Lately I've been veering more and more towards spy novels, I mean what is cooler than a little espionage and shadows creeping against an alley way through the fog from a sewer grate? So I was pumped to get into a spy thriller when I picked up A Mission To Paris. Sadly, though, I wasn't as excited when I up it down.

That isn't to say it wasn't a good book or it isn't worth reading. I loved the book and I couldn't put it down, I was just a little disappointed by the ending, and mostly because it came too abruptly. Maybe it was because I was expected a mystery and some clandestine, spy vs spy type stuff, and while this book didn't lack on suspense, it was much more thriller an mystery.

Alan Furst did do an enviable job describing the mood in Paris leading up to te first days of World War II. To work-a-day Parisians it Hitler's rise seemed like nothing more than politics as usual, the customary squabbling between neighbors jammed too close together. And yet, while ordinary Parisians seemed to have little concern for the growing influence of Adolph Hitler, lines were being drawn in many of the city's most influential living rooms, and the city was infiltrated with members of the third reich. I easily could have read two hundred more pages detailing the mood of the city at that time.

A Mission To Paris was thoroughly enjoyable and a great read to learn more of the history at the time. I just wish I had more of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mission to Paris.