Jessi G's Reviews > The Cat in the Hat

F 50x66
Sep 11, 12

bookshelves: predictable-lis-510-the-cat-in-th
Read in September, 2012

Growing up, I read Dr. Seuss often. I always considered his "The Cat in the Hat" a five star classic. I still enjoy it thoroughly; however, after reading it with a critic's eye, I was surprised what I found.

In the book, the mother of two small children left them home alone to fend for themselves on a rainy day. If any two children were anything like me or my four siblings growing up, that is a recipe for disaster. It reflects poor parenting without any parental consequences. This is simply unrealistic. Granted, Dr. Seuss' books are far from realistic; however, it does not employ any sort of moral to the story. Further, disobedience and potential danger are welcomed into the home through the Cat in the Hat. Although the fish, who could serve as somewhat of a conscience, disapproves immensely, the cat comes in and destroys the house. However, by the time the mother gets home, the cat has everything under control and leaves "with a tip of his hat".

Having written all this, I still enjoy "The Cat in the Hat" and see it as a classic in children's literature. However, having viewed it from a critic's perspective, I was able to pick up on areas I had never really discovered before.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cat in the Hat.