Angie's Reviews > Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian by Christine Feehan

Sep 11, 2012

did not like it
Read in September, 2012

STOCKHOLM SYNDROME IS NOT ROMANTIC OR SEXY.

So, when I read Under the Blood Red Moon I mentioned that the plot seemed familiar: Manly Carpathian needs his soulmate. I couldn't for the life of me remember the author or books, but knew I'd read multiple of them earlier in life. I ran into this book at a humane society thrift store and thought, why not? I'll spend a buck for the animals and re-read this book and make sure it really is one of the ones I was thinking of before.

And it's terrible. It's the same thing over and over and over again- instead of having the exact same dilemma of "Why do I feel so scared, but instantly connected, and will shove my legitimate feelings out of the way" the main female character really could've taken a SECOND to utilize her supposedly amazing cop skills and really analyzed the situation. So she was unknowingly forced to drink someone's blood, and every time she questions him and his actions, he diverts her mind to something else- he forbids her her usual life- even the language the author uses is vaguely creepy (words like "force" or "holding her neck with his hand"). I was too creeped out the whole time to even care about the rather stereotypical sex scenes.

UGH. The sad thing is, it could've been a good book- or at least a shorter book- if it wasn't so much "Got kidnapped, fell in love." I don't remember the few other books I read in this series being so ooky, but I'm not sure I want to give them another shot, now. In fact, this book is going into the trash, or it's getting recycled into some crappy version of one of those crafty things I saw on Pinterest.

And if you know me, you realize what an incredible act the throwing away of a book is- I usually only do it because I consider it to be so bad that it would actually make another person's life worse (like with scientologist or other wacky "religious" "literature")... basically I consider the removal of a single copy of this book to be a favor to the world. If it was possible to give it 0 stars, I would.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Guardian.

Jennifer Risley THANK YOU!! worse book i have ever read!!

Jennifer Risley as for throwing it away.... I torn the cover off as a warning "you see this writers name avoid her books" and let my brothers burn it. AND I NEVER LET THAT HAPPEN not even to twilight

Angie HIGH-FIVE!

Jennifer Risley Angie wrote: "HIGH-FIVE!

Honestly, I was nervous to give it a low score and write that review, but at the same time, I was ACTIVELY creeped out reading it."

Really to person who should wrote my review should have been my husband. he watched throw, cuss, growl at the book the whole time, he asked why didn't i just stop. Because i need to finish so i never ever had to pick the piece of crap up again.

Angie Exactly- I almost always finish books and feel sort of guilty if I don't, but I HAD to finish so I could verify it was that bad the whole way through, and also to get it on my "read" list just to have some benefit for reading the whole thing.

Valerie Norris Honestly this book isn't that bad. I personally think it's one of my favorites. Just because it has a similar story line in the other books doesn't mean that it's a crappy book. And in the book it goes to show that even the strongest can be defeated at one point. Not everything is as it seems and Jaxon was terrified of her uncle Drake, she wouldn't have tried to think about what was happening with Lucian she was only thinking of protecting him.