notgettingenough 's Reviews > The 25th Hour

The 25th Hour by David Benioff

Sep 11, 2012

bookshelves: modern-lit

David Benioff is perfect.

I know, I know, he can't be. For a start his books are really popular, so he can't be good, right? I mean not really good, not if he's making a living out of it.

And honestly, his novels: they start at the start and end at the end, they have a story to them and fantastic characters. I mean, how passé can you get?

Hang on a tick. I think this is what I meant to say:

I started this yesterday, began it again at breakfast and couldn't do a thing until it was finished.

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Yay for a great story full of people who are a joy to read about that makes you feel a bit weepy at the end, not to give anything away.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 25th Hour.

05/20 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-11 of 11) </span> <span class="smallText">(11 new)</span>

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny Hey, this is a pretty unsubtle review. No postmodernist tricks. No clever parodies. Not even a LOLcat... just a bald statement that this is a terrific book. I mean, who's going to want to vote for that?

notgettingenough Manny wrote: "Hey, this is a pretty unsubtle review. No postmodernist tricks. No clever parodies. Not even a LOLcat... just a bald statement that this is a terrific book. I mean, who's going to want to vote for that"

Three years later....Paul Bryant. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant I was about to watch the Spike Lee movie of this & sort of tripped over your review.

notgettingenough Paul wrote: "I was about to watch the Spike Lee movie of this & sort of tripped over your review.

"

Let me know if you think it is good. I keep wondering if I should buy it.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant nah, it was a rather pompous actorfest

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I read the book because I liked the movie so much.

notgettingenough Andrea wrote: "I read the book because I liked the movie so much."

And which did you like more?

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I don't remember the book well enough to compare them fairly--it's been a long time since I read it and, though I read a lot, my retention is embarrassingly low. What I can say is the movie made a big impression on me and I do remember that quite well--I also think I watched it a second time at some point--it's one of my favorites. I hope you'll post if you end up watching it--I'm curious to hear what you think.

notgettingenough Paul wrote: "nah, it was a rather pompous actorfest"

Andrea wrote: "I don't remember the book well enough to compare them fairly--it's been a long time since I read it and, though I read a lot, my retention is embarrassingly low. What I can say is the movie made a ..."

I probably like pompous actorfests, so I will try it and report back!

message 10: by Bojan (new)

Bojan in one day !!? I always wonder people who can read a book in a day or two,a book over 350pages !?!! How the hell??

notgettingenough Bojan wrote: "in one day !!? I always wonder people who can read a book in a day or two,a book over 350pages !?!! How the hell??"

Well, I don't know. Some books take ages, some books trip off the tongue. And I think sometimes I'm really focussed compared with others. I think I've read two books over the last four days totalling over 500 pages, but prior to that my reading's been rather laboured for a while.