Dorine White's Reviews > She Wulf (Annie Loves Cham, #4

She Wulf (Annie Loves Cham, #4 by Sheryl Steines

Sep 11, 2012

liked it

The Story- Annie and Cham are back, and this time they aren’t fighting vampires and evil wizards, but chasing demons and witches back in the past.

It all begins when a Viking comes to town. His goal- to capture Annie and bring her back to the 1600’s England to fight regenerating demons. But, due to a mishap, he catches not only Annie, but her new partner Spencer. Together they are taken to a Viking village and introduced to a coven of witches that accidently created the demons that are now killing them.

In the present time, Cham is going crazy trying to figure out a way to bring Annie safely home. His search through ancient books reveals a prophecy from the past about Anaise, a young wizard female who killed demons. It is a shock to find out that Anaise, is really Annie.

Back in the past the witches make Annie extremely ill with a potion, telling her that it will help her gain power. But the truth is that it might just plain kill her. Will she survive? And can Cham find a way to bring her home?

My Thoughts- It was good, just like the first one. The character of Annie is strong and independent, while showing a wonderfully loving side with Cham. The portrayal of their romance is so sweet, and the author does a good job fleshing it out, so the reader really does feel like they’d do anything for each other.

The fact that the story jumps to the past is fun. I liked seeing how the Vikings and witches lived. The most interesting part was Annie’s notice of how quiet everything was, and it disturbed her. I think I’d feel that way too.

The story is full of twists and turns. At first you don’t know what is going on with the Viking. As soon as you figure it out, you’re in the past trying to figure out the secret of the witch coven. In the present you’re solving the Anaise mystery right alongside of Cham. And of course, the big mystery is how Annie will kill all the demons.

Critically I did have a few concerns. First off, the title of the book threw me. It’s not very interesting and sounds more like a female cartoon character, than a wizard battling evil. I wouldn’t have picked it up if I saw it on a shelf. I know the author was going for a Beowulf thing, but it didn’t work for me.

Second, there were several errors that should have been picked up by an editor. There is just a handful, but it was enough to throw me out of the book each time.

Last, the author decides to switch to the Viking’s point of view towards the very end of the book- totally unnecessary and out of place.

Overall though, I was impressed that this self published book did such a good job. The story is full and entertaining and a great sequel to the first book. I think both books are worth a read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Wulf (Annie Loves Cham, #4.