Christina's Reviews > Finding Out

Finding Out by Sheryn MacMunn

Sep 11, 2012

Read in September, 2012

Wow. I can't believe that at one point in time, this book was free on Amazon. I had downloaded it quite a long while ago and only this week, got around to reading it. What a fantastic read.

The book starts off with an introduction to Sheila, one of the fortunate former young millionaires that had previously gained wealth with the Internet boom. She lives in a condo that she owns in a high-end area of Manhattan. She's in her mid-thirties, has a great job, but has just been dumped by her live-in boyfriend of seven years...for a much younger woman. Did I mention that he takes a good chunk of her life savings despite her having funded his graduate education?

While dealing with this tremendous blow, she has to face separate tribulations at work as she has to deal with a new and arrogant co-worker brought in my nepotism whose ineptitude only serves to make Sheila, tasked in training her, look bad.

Down in luck and surrounded by friends who are busy with their own lives, she makes an unlikely friend in her eighty-six year old neighbor, Ruth. As they grow closer, Ruth begins to share stories of her childhood marred by a dangerous existence of hiding in Nazi Germany. As each story is told and life's hard lessons are shared, Sheila begins to find her own inner strength as she develops the tools to move forward in her personal life and also remove the obstacles plaguing her work life.

Truly wonderful read.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Out.