Karen.s's Reviews > Every Day

Every Day by David Levithan

Sep 11, 12

Read in September, 2012

This book is a great combination of two genres that I love: fantasy and realistic young adult that contains enough universal truth to appeal to adults. This combination is almost unheard of. A is a 17 year old (male?, female?) who wakes up in a new body every day. Usually he tries to keep as low a profile as possible to get through the day without doing too much harm to his host. But one day he falls in love with the girlfriend of one of his hosts. But how do you love someone who isn't physically there for you? How do you love when you truly only love what is on the inside? The book explores the nature of love: what it means to be in love, what form does love take, can borders be blurred?

Levithan's exploration of the theme of love will leave you thinking for quite awhile after finishing the book. It's clear there is a message here to accept anyone for what they are and that we all are deserving of love. The love story here is bittersweet. The couple falls in love, but can she accept a relationship when she doesn't know what the object of that love will look like the next day or even if that object will be a boy or girl? You are left hoping for a fantasy, supernatural solution to the predicament, but in the end I am glad the author didn't take this way out. The ending is sad even if it is hopefully happy for the girl. It's not a fate will bring them ending no matter how far-fetched ending. There is a bit of a fantastical element to the solution but it is a believable one. It's difficult to explain this without giving away spoilers. The ending is open but not a cliffhanger and I kind of hope there might be a sequel.

My main quibble with the book is that eventually A does start manipulating memories when he discovers that the host will remember what he wants them to remember. In order to cover up the hosts' tracks as A hijacks their body to meet his girlfriend. Ok that must be to move the plot. He also starts trying to manipulate events to improve hosts lives if he feels they are in danger. While that is noble, the book becomes a bit of a social issue a day treatise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Day.