Scotty's Reviews > House of Leaves

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

Dec 15, 13

bookshelves: united-states

On the back cover, this book's compared to the writing of Pynchon, Borges, and Nabokov. Just because someone dabbles with paranoia, non-Euclidean geometry, and drops a big word here and there doesn't instantly qualify his writing as derivative of these three.

House of Leaves is uniquely Danielewski's own voice. And it's fun. This book wasn't tiring, confusing, or emotionally taxing, it was just plain fun. Don't be daunted by the size, the journey is a lot more satisfying than the destination. Just enjoy it as it comes. I suppose you could say that about a lot of books, but this one's fun on an engaging and personal level, not so much because of the poetry of the language and scenery. You get involved directly and physically.

There aren't any passages so long you'll be forced to read for pages and pages and pages until you can comfortably put down the book without having to backtrack. No germ of an idea that'll take you a couple hours till you can finally feel satisfied enough to walk away. You'll stay reading for as long as you WANT to stay reading. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that it's. just. plain. fun. (that all said, I don't think I could ever re-read this book)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Leaves.