Chandra's Reviews > The False Friend

The False Friend by Myla Goldberg

Sep 11, 12

Read in September, 2012

I just love Myla. I realize that she's a little wreird, and is certainly not for everyone, but I just think she's swell. I read Bee Season when I was still in high school, and it was one of those defining books that, I think, most aenglish majors and book nerds have. One of those first books that totally engaged and enveloped me, not for an exciting plot or a beloved character, but because of the words the authors used, like cords tossed gradually around me until I was totally caught up. (Geek Love is the other book in that brief list of firsts--I keep meaning to go reread it, but I'm a little terrified that I'll hate it now.)

The Fakse Friend is, perhaps, Goldberg's weakest of her three novels, but that's pretty much the opposite of damning with faint praise. Her writing continues to be sneakily poetic--nothing that bowls you over, but just a smooth consistency and grace of storytelling. You aren't sure where the truth lies, which is the idea, anyway. Characters are true and real and identifiable. I ate it up, polishing it off in about 24 hours.

I have something of a raised eyebrow for the ending--I don't hate it, and, knowing Myla, it wasn't unexpected, but that's a good part of why the three stars and not four. I'm not sure ho I would have preferred to wrap it up, and the longer I think about it, the less it bugs me. All in all, another well-done piece by my girl Myla.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The False Friend.