Tucker Carney's Reviews > Good Calories, Bad Calories

Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes

Dec 29, 08

Read in August, 2008

Honestly, I never finished the book. At first I thought it was incredible, and the explanation of how our culture came to embrace the food pyramid and the switch to processed carbo-loaded foods was fascinating and infuriating. But like any good contrarian, as I got further into the book I started to question many of the authors sources too. It's too one sided. I'd like a little more give and take even if it ultimately ended up with the same conclusion. With the one sided format you start to question its veracity. Perhaps I'll finish it at some point and amend my review.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Calories, Bad Calories.

message 1: by Susanne (new) - added it

Susanne According to Taubes the whole mass of real information on the other side comes from very few sources ... calories cause fat is like the idea of the Bermuda triangle which a lbrarian at Arizona State University traced to a single article in the 1940's.

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Mccann and it's kind of like asking to present creationism as the other side of evolution.!

Luba The author warns at the beginning, that his arguments may seem one-sided, but that's because he uses sources that are rarely presented to the public.