Philantha Lestrange's Reviews > Eve & Adam

Eve & Adam by Michael  Grant

Sep 23, 12

Read in September, 2012

Evening Spiker, daughter of a successful geneticist, is going to create the perfect boy. After an accident, Evening never really questioned anything about her until she herself is brought to BioTech, the company her mother owns. Here, she is assigned to a project: that is, to create the perfect boy. But while she is busy trying to figure out which characteristics would be perfect for her creation, she also begins to discover the truth about BioTech, and the things that are going on in the company.

Eve and Adam began with the main character almost dying in an accident. Although that might have sounded heavy and dramatic, the book actually started pretty funny because of Evening. There were actually quite a lot of funny scenes in this book, which I didn't expect at all. Evening was a funny character, although I admit I find it hard to connect with her, or any of the characters, for that matter. I find her character lacking depth, but reading her thoughts and remarks had been entertaining.

The real action happens about halfway of the book, when Evening was finally putting the puzzle pieces together. I'm afraid there was no frantic page-flipping that happened when I read it though. Still, I think the pacing of the book was just fine for me.

There were some scenes that I honestly think were unnecessary, scenes that mostly involved Evening's friend, Aislin. Aislin's story was covered in quite a big chunk in the book, and to be honest, I didn't like Aislin's character at all. I didn't find her interesting enough to become the focus in some parts. I even hated her at one point. The book dealt with a lot of Aislin's adventures that it seemed as if it's staying away from what the real focus should be, which is Eve and her mother's story.

I do like that this book was written in alternating POVs: Evening's, and Solo's. I actually really appreciate when a book is written that way. It makes the readers see another side and what another person thought, and not just the protagonist's. Anyway, Solo is the boy who works in BioTech, and who also happens to hate Evening's mother. He's also quite funny, especially when he talks about his feelings about the Terror's daughter. Like Evening's character, though, unfortunately, I also find his character to be one-dimensional.

I was surprised as to how things turned out in Eve and Adam. It wasn't the book I expected before reading it. I guess I can say I'm a bit disappointed because while I liked the idea of a YA sci-fi novel in which futuristic stuff was happening in present time (and not dystopian), there were still those side-stories that I felt weren't really connected to what the book promised.  I was expecting this book to discuss more about ethics and the consequences of "playing God," but they almost became neglected in some parts of the novel.

The intriguing premise of Eve and Adam will surely catch anyone's attention, but I suggest not expecting too much from it, or you *might* end up being disappointed. Still, it's a quick sci-fi read, but it will also make you think about the consequences of experimentation to help others and cure illnesses. I didn't know until after I read the book that there's going to be a sequel, and I really hope that it will be better than this because right now I'm neutral about this book.

You can also read my review here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eve & Adam.