Kelly's Reviews > The Other Boleyn Girl

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

Aug 05, 07

bookshelves: fiction

This is the only Philippa Gregory novel I like. I read it and was charmed, so I looked up her other novels. The Wideacre trilogy was dreadful, and the post-Other Boleyn Girl novels are BORING. I think this is one of the first times I've ever liked a book so much and then been completely disenchanted with the writer's other work!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Boleyn Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by CLM (new)

CLM I have not tried any of her recent books because read Wideacre and a couple others when new, and was so revolted by her obsession with violence and incest that I didn't want to enrich her in any way. Oh, I also read a very improbable one about a depressed 19th century merchant's wife falling in love with her slave (allegedly based a true story). It was absurd!

Kelly The Other Boleyn Girl is about Anne's sister Mary and is very readable. Wideacre was laughable with the incest and S&M. I read The Queen's Fool -- DULL. And Earthly Joys, maybe? DULL. I like TOBG enough to reread it, but I don't even bother to look at her other stuff now.

Kelly HAHA! I was just looking at Amazon for something completely unrelated and I got a link for a list entitled "Anyone else sick of Philippa Gregory?"

message 4: by CLM (new)

CLM That is hilarious! Did I ask whether you had read The Concubine by Norah Lofts? It's about Anne Boleyn, and was in the library at my Catholic school but I remember wondering when I checked it out if the nuns would revoke it upon sight (luckily, they were very liberal nuns who loved good readers).