Adam Spring's Reviews > The Stars My Destination

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

Sep 11, 12

Part of the Sci-fi Masterworks series, this is the first sci-fi (although the jaunt aspect is clearly fantasy) novel I ever read - last Summer (2011). Since then I have only read sci-fi novels - and wondered why I never gave them a chance before (considering my taste of sci-fi films).
Some of the science doesn't stand up today - this was written in the 50s - however I LOVE the fact that things are not over described - as is so common in modern books - allowing the reader to use their own imagination. Consequently I doubt anyone who's read the book has exactly the same vision as anyone else, which could make for interesting discussion. The anti-hero protagonist is original and refreshing. Probably the closest to him since would be Riddick in the film Pitch Black, though nowhere near as interesting. If you like sci-fi in any form I highly recommend this book. Fast paced, with spaceships, teleporting, hi-tec weaponry, and a plot that twists right through the book this is pulp sci-fi at its best!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stars My Destination.