Melody Medeiros's Reviews > Kiss of Steel

Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster

Sep 10, 12

Not enough steam-punk, making me judge it more harshly for false advertising, but enough to partly disguise that it is really a regency romance.

The plucky, prideful lady is down on her luck and hiding from a Duke of the Ton, I mean the Echelon. Our Anti-hero, a cold bloodsucker playing the part of the Rake, forces her into cutting a deal with him for protection; but really he knows her secret identity already and wants to use her as bait for the villain Duke, who he also has a past with. Mix in a healthy dose of unwanted attraction, mild need for vengeance, a few damsel in distress moments, and don't forget the usual case of our Hero saying MINE over and over. He even argues with his dark-side about it: She's mine, not yours, dark-side. NO, SHE IS MINE, GOOD-SIDE. Okay, I guess she can be ours, just don't get greedy. OKAY, OURS. Yes, she is ours.

Anyway, I don't want to plot the whole thing, just showing how it is a typical regency, under the paranormal-steam-punk veneer. BUT still, overall, I enjoyed it. The writing was fine, and the execution of the plot was entertaining and amusing. If it was a Man, I might go on a couple of dates with it, maybe even let it get to second base, but I wouldn't take it home for hot coffee.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Steel.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle LOL nice one. I think I'll read this one. :-)

Michelle LOL nice one. I think I'll read this one. :-)

Melody Medeiros So nice, you gotta say it twice, lol. It really was an enjoyable read. Fully entertaining, you'll dig it the most ;)

Brandy LOLOLOL....loved your reinactment of the yours, mind, ours bit. That DID get a bit annoying!!!!

Brandy *mine* sorry

Melody Medeiros Thanks Brandy! I just started writing reviews, and getting your comment made me very happy. I try to be funny, so I am glad I made you laugh. :)

Brandy Same here, I just found goodreads a few months ago and love it! Finally, I have an outlet for all of my in depth book analyses. My husband gets rather tired of me ranting to him! haha, my reviews aren't too good, but I do enjoy writing them. Reviewing gives me a sort of closure,I guess, and I love comparing my ideas with other readers!!!

Melody Medeiros Mine too! Three sentences into me complaining about a book and his eyes glaze over. Still, he is supportive enough to ask me how my book is, even if he doesn't really want to know. If only I could as easily edit my live commentary to be as interesting and somewhat succinct as my reviews. :p