Sunny's Reviews > Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots

Unorthodox by Deborah Feldman

Oct 13, 12

A story of a girl brought up in a religion and culture that feels foreign to her from the start and her experience trying to separate from it. I gravitate towards stories like these because I think many people have similar experiences and can relate to the struggles of discovering who you truly are, and what you believe in. Then, how you deal with the negative impact that has on your future with your family and community who can't and aren't willing to understand. I gave this book two stars for two reasons. One, for someone like me who has little back ground in the Jewish religion and traditions needs more explanation. She threw out Jewish names, holidays, traditions etc.. without fulling explaining what they meant. This cause me to skim through paragraphs and gloss over the Jewish words instead of being able to learn from them. Secondly, I felt she wrote this book prematurely. She got this book deal before even leaving her community completely. If she had waited 5 or so more years she could have had a lot more reflection on how her life has unfolded and how she feels about her past and future.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unorthodox.