Bar Shirtcliff's Reviews > Android Karenina

Android Karenina by Ben H. Winters

Sep 19, 12

Recommended for: Winters fans
Read from September 10 to 17, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

It's not as much fun as Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, but, this is a pleasant way to spend some time.

I wouldn't want to do what Winters has done here because it must be impossible to please Tolstoy fans, but, I suppose most of this book's readers probably can't stand the original (in translation). I've read the original several times in English, and once in Russian, so, I'm not in the intended audience.

That said, I found the multi-ending to be a bit of a drag, and I didn't like the way he ended up taking volition away from Anna - it was entertaining, but not light-hearted enough to be meaningless (as in SSSM), nor true to anything close to the original author's way of seeing things (in which Anna has volition and chooses the path the turns out to be so dark). Winters has removed the moral (sorry, I hate that word, but we're talking about a Tolstoy story) weight from Anna's tragic story, without transforming the entire story into a comedy, which makes the whole a rather middling tale, neither one thing nor the other.

But, like I said, this is a pleasant read, very entertaining.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Android Karenina.