Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy

Powers of Detection by Dana Stabenow

I found this one at the used bookstore and snapped it up. This collection is a good way to get introduced to the occult detective sub-genre of urban fantasy. It has a nice mix of stories, including a Simon R. Green Nightside story and a Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse story, which actually encouraged me to finally start reading this series. In fact, I like this short story better than the first book in the series Dead Until Dark. Probably because it had some faery elements lacking in the first book.

Additionally there is a tale from Anne Bishop's Black Jewels universe that intrigued me. Although the concepts of her world are very complicated, this short story was written in such a way that I could enjoy it without having read the Black Jewels trilogy. I made a note to pick this series up. Some of the stories weren't as fantastic as I wished, but had elements of fantasy and a strong mystery. I didn't dislike any story in this collection, but the Nightside story was clearly my favorite (no surprise there).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Powers of Detection.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I love the Black Jewels trilogy!

message 2: by Rane (new)

Rane Awesome Reveiw Danielle!

message 3: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Danielle! When I first saw "Sookie Stackhouse" I was going to steer clear b/c I'm one of the few who didn't enjoy those. But this anthology looks like its a lot different from those :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks Ladies. I'm kind of Meh about Sookie Stackhouse after the first book (pretty good) and the Christmas short story in Wolfsbane and Mistletoe with her grandfather pimping a guy to her. :( I liked this story the best so far. I'm not sure I'll read all of them, but I'm committed to read the first five (since I own those). I haven't read the Black Jewels Trilogy yet. I heard it was very intense. But I will.