Shail's Reviews > Carnival of Souls

Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr

Sep 11, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from September 10 to 11, 2012

I actually really liked this book. I had read her Wicked Lovely series and thought it was pretty good (the books alternate narrators and I really didn't like one of them). Then I read Graveminder, which was ok, but not great. This was really good. I like how she doesn't explain everything right away. A lot of authors immediately explain every detail of the world they're creating within the first 20 pages. I like how she doesn't. She acts like you already know a lot of stuff and doesn't take too much time going over minute details. It helps you get into it, I think.
The characters in this book were pretty interesting. I liked how they were all connected. I think my least favorite was Mallory, but I have a feeling she's about to get a lot more bad ass. I didn't like how stupid she was, but then again, how smart would you be if someone kept erasing your memory? I really liked Kaleb, even though he was super intense. His whole demeanor with Mallory was a bit stalker-ish at times, but he was usually sweet and was only trying to look out for his pack.
Overall, I think this was a good start to a new series. I'm not sure how long it will be, but I hope it's more than just one more book. It was a pretty unique book and I want to read more. It stopped just when things were getting interesting!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carnival of Souls.