Joe Upshaw's Reviews > The Qur'an

M 50x66
Dec 29, 2008

it was ok
Read in August, 2008

What can I say...I was searching for the source of fanatical anger and came to the conclusion that it isn't Islamic scholars but, ignorance and deliberate distortion of the doctrine that are used to excuse terrorism.

While there do seem to be an awful lot of things that are going to get you eternal damnation, there are but a few that can excuse violence. I mean sure there are some exhortations to crush your enemies e.g. "Make ready whatever you can to terrify the enemies of Allah" but, then again, in the bible we find passages where blood flows up to the bridle of the horses at the vanquishment of the enemies of God's "chosen" people.

In short, ignorance and lust for earthly power can justify the perversion of any book or belief system to it's own ends. Misguided Muslims are no different that misguided Christians...only more desperate.

Considered objectively, as a read, the Koran is *very* difficult to force yourself through. So much of it is repetitious, ponderous prophecy of doom. I certainly sensed my reverence beginning to wane less than half way through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Qur'an.

04/20/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Ted (new)

Ted Well said, Joe.

message 2: by Anum (new) - added it

Anum Not well said Joe, you need a guide to read it. Try an explanation from a 'GENUINE' scholar. The thing is that the Quran repeats a number of things to emphasise them and if you read carefully or more precisely in the language it has been written you may understand it better. Understanding is the key!

As far as the idea of violence is concerned let me quote: 'Fight those who fight you and do not transgress limits as Allah does not like transgressors.' I rest my case. If you need the best explaination for the meaning of the Quran I would suggest reading a book on the life of Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H.).

I hope your confusions are clarified.

message 3: by Joe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joe Upshaw Snow666 wrote: "Not well said Joe, you need a guide to read it. Try an explanation from a 'GENUINE' scholar. The thing is that the Quran repeats a number of things to emphasise them and if you read carefully or mo..."

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my review, Snow666.

I could take the time here to quote Biblical passages that would make the one you've chosen seem rather harmless in comparison, but the point that both books (or nearly all of the books that comprise them) contain similar statements was *already* made in my original review. Finding a *single* quote, in addition to the one I've already quoted, hardly counts as grounds upon which to rest one's case (and most certainly doesn't reveal the depth of understanding that your post would imply).

This forum is about normal, average people sharing their impressions of books that they've ready. In fact, I would go so far as to say this is the entire point of GoodReads.com. I am not, nor have I claimed to be, a "GENUINE" Islamic scholar. I was, in the spirit of this site, merely sharing *my* impressions from reading.

For what it is worth, I do intend to take your suggestion and pick up a copy of The Life of Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H.). I'll probably review that one too (and most probably not to your high standards).

Assalamu alaikum,

-Joe

message 4: by Anum (new) - added it

Anum Walaikum-musalam

Oh my by no means did I intend to suggest that you are a scholar or that you have no right to have your views posted. I was just suggesting that people who have studied the islamic history, human psychology, commentaries of the sahabas, tabayeen and the life of the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H.)as well as his saying (Hadith) have a better way of explaining the Qura'n. I was saying that there are a few people out there who do not really research properly and put their views in the form of books. Their commentary is not very thorough and informative. Nor very convincing.

I am glad that you are going to read a book on the life of Prophet Muhammad. I would like to suggest that you read 'When the Moon Split' compiled by Safiur-Rahman Mubarakpuri. It is a concise biography of the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H.), which deals with all the basic events.

As far as your comment on the biblical passages is concerned, I would like to take this oppertunity to state that, we muslims believe in the original Injeel (bible) that had come down to Prophet Isa (A) (Jesus Christ). It was a book with similar teachings because both books are from the same source. However, the Qura'n is a confirmation of the teachings that are authentic and pose a rejection to those which have later been fabricated or misinterpreted by human beings during the course of time.

The purpose of Goodreads is to provide a medium via which people can share their views on books that they have read. However, I am sure this comment box would not have been present if we were not allowed to share our views on another person review as well.

I am sorry if I might have caused you any kind of offence. Forgive me, that was not my intention.

message 5: by Kira (new)

Kira It's not a book on entertainment, that's all I can offer.

message 6: by Rita (new) - rated it 1 star

Rita I like your review Joe, thanks for that.

message 7: by زينب (new) - added it

زينب Hello,
Yeah you are right reading the Quran in English is very difficult. Even though I know the verses in Arabic when I look at them in English they look totally different and hard to understand. Reading it in Arabic is totally different from English. In Arabic it's one of the most beautiful texts to recite. It's not a poetry but it rhythms nicely and smoothly just like poetry. Muslims always consider translations of Quran as mere translations because they NEVER reflect the real text accurately. However, I totally feel your pain. And I think translators should work harder to make better translations that reflect the real meaning as much as possible yet are easy to read and understand.

=====

As for the 'violent' texts of the Quran:

There's a fact that everyone who reads the Quran should know. Most verses in the Quran have what Muslims call a 'reason for the revelation'. It means that certain verses were revealed to describe certain situations or to answer certain queries for certain events that happened. That's the case for a lot of the so called 'violent' verses of the Quran. That is why people usually say taking a verse by itself from the Quran just like that might mean you are using it out of context. To fully understand Quran you have to understand the stories behind the verse!

====

I'm willing to go as far as pick these so called 'violent' verses and explain them one by one for you. I once did this with a christian friend who asked about them. If you want I can do this here too.

====

message 8: by Majid (new)

Majid Al-ansari Zaineb is right!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Which of these statements comes closest to describing your feelings about the Bible? 1) The Bible is the actual word of God and is to be taken literally, word for word; 2) The Bible is the inspired word of God but not everything in it should be taken literally, word for word; 3) The Bible is an ancient book of fables, legends, history, and moral precepts recorded by men.

message 10: by Ati (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ati @ snowy angel
your not really supposed to Salaam a non-Muslim back. yeah I know, it sounds mean, but that's what my parents said. I come from a religious family and I see their point.

And I myself am reading an English-Arabic Qur'an. it is VERY difficult to understand, so I don't blame you if your going to drop reading it. But I do congratulate you that you actually tried to read it, and Insha-Allah, maybe Allah will take note of that.

Shahd Alshaibi Found this link very simple in explaining quraan and its miracles hope you like it :)