Lacey Luce's Reviews > Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Martin's Big Words by Doreen Rappaport

Sep 10, 12

Read in September, 2012

Martin’s Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
By: Doreen Rappaport Illustrated By: Bryan Collier
Caldecott Honor Book & Coretta Scott King Award Honor Book

1. Historical Fiction

2. This book takes you on the journey of Martin Luther King Jr.’s life. It starts out with him as a young boy and proceeds through all his great contributions until his death in 1968. The book tells Martin Luther King Jr.’s story through the words of the author as well as the words of Martin Luther King Jr. himself.

3. Critique

a. Accuracy

b. This book is first of all beautifully illustrated with life like drawings of Martin Luther King Jr. and family. The accuracy of this book is spot on. The book starts out giving background of MLK Jr. as a child and his hopes and dreams of one day seeing whites and black live together in peace. She did a great job of telling the story in her own way but also adding the MLK Jr. quotes to each page that went along with her story. It really validates the story and gives it the accuracy to the reader. I thought the book was very educational for young readers and very easy to understand and follow along. This book definitely has the historical fiction feel to it which also adds to the accuracy of the story. At the end of the story there is also a timeline of events for MLK Jr.’s life that also gives to the accuracy of the story.

c. One of my favorite pages of the book is when the author is explaining the beginnings of black American protests and she uses Martin Luther King Jr.’s quote of “Wait! For years I have heard the word ‘Wait!’ We have waited more than three hundred and forty years for our rights (Rappaport, 2007, P.19-20).” It is quotes like these that are located throughout the book that give to the accuracy and validity of the story.

4. This is a great book to be brought into a K-3rd grade classroom. This is an excellent book to be read to your students around Martin Luther King Jr. Day or while you are studying MLK. This book is a great addition to the classroom and can be implemented into many lesson plans on MLK Jr. It is a well written book with fantastic pictures and I cannot wait to have it in my classroom.

Rappaport, D. (2007). Martin's big words: the life of dr. martin luther king, jr.. New York: Jump at the Sun/Hyperion Books for Children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Martin's Big Words.

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue Careful, this is not FICTION. What are the aspects that make you believe this book is accurate or correct in it's portrayal of MLK's life? While the author liberally uses quotations, does she provide citations? The timeline is definitely a plus. I do agree that the quotes provide validity because they are the words of the book's subject. Also while you are not required to provide a citation here (since Goodreads does that for us - you should always put a person's name in caps :-). This is fine as a first critique - I'm mainly wondering if it's really accuracy that you are commenting on.